Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wedding preparations and a heartfelt gratitude

It's been a pretty hectic past two months. I would freely and embarrassingly admit that I'm a person who seem to do things at the last minute. It is unfortunate that at the same time I seem to always 'make it' on time and therefore I have not learned a lesson hard enough to change my attitude. However, I always have that nagging thought 'Have I done enough?' or 'Darn, if I would have started this earlier, I definitely would have done it better'.

Choon Hui and I were supposed to have our wedding ceremony and dinner on December last year but due to a pretty horrible mistake by the hotel we had to delay our wedding to May this year. All in all I actually think that it was a blessing as we actually managed to actually finish the draft of our thesis and had more time to prepare. The representative of the hotel has been extremely supportive so far and has been really attentive to us.

A wedding involves a LOT of work. I'm not really sure about weddings conducted by other races though I think it would be about similar, the amount of thing that we had/have to do! So many people has helped us prepare for our big day. First and foremost would be Jesus! The amount of times He has responded to Choon Hui's prayers is incredible. I absolutely believe that He had a hand in solving so many of our problems because whenever Choon Hui prayed, the solution just seem to come just like that without us actually actively doing something to get to that solution. It's amazing... We both would like to give a huge thank you to my parents and my sister for arranging so many things for us. We would have been so lost without their guidance. From the hotel booking both in Shah Alam and Malacca to the whole list of things to do, they have been just awesome. My sister have been such a great sister. Following us to bridal shops, makeup shops etc. I'm sorry if we didn't take a lot of your suggestions but it was all your recommendations that allowed us to learn more! Car decorations, flowers, preparations for the Holy Matrimony etc was all her work.

Choon Hui's family have been great too. They have been so generous financially. Her third sis is such a nice person to have actually arranged 2 wedding photo shoots AND followed us to attend to our needs during the shoots. A big THANK YOU! Her family has been so supportive morally too, I'm guessing Choon Hui drew a lot of strength from them. It's also great that her parents is 'cincai' and not fussy about all the traditional arrangements. They are just great! The marriage counseling sessions with Pastor Ronald actually helped us a lot. I really have to say that I approached it without expecting much but we really learned a lot. And it has been so interesting with him relating his own stories.

I'm really touched by all the sincere offers of help from my friends. I pray that I can be a friend like that too. Daniel, Hyon Le, Hanxue, Wee Min, Muthu, Evonne, Kwang Yew, Melvin, Xiao Yi, Joyce etc, you guys are just great. There's too many to mention here but all our heng tais and ji muis, thanks for 'going to be' there! :D In the future, call me if you need any help, I will try my best to help! All those who are coming for all the celebrations that day too have our warmest thanks for supporting and sharing this day with us.

Oh yeah, I would like to thank all those who wished us but couldn't make it. I know you guys would love to come especially Yun Ping, Jeremy  and Pamela. We'll miss you guys!

It sounds like I'm giving a speech lol. But actually this is a blog entry about thanks. Once again, THANK YOU everyone!



Before this, I had the mindset that a small wedding with a few relatives and close friends would do. But now I think that a big wedding is pretty alright too. It is quite rare to enjoy and share a big occasion with so many people.

I am now really looking forward to that day. Previously I wasn't actually looking forward to it but I have changed my mind. A friend of mine told me that he doesn't put much emphasis on weddings but how you actually live your marriage is more important. I do agree with him about the part where the actual rest of your lives is more important but the whole celebration itself is important to me too. Sure the preparation is tiring and at times frustrating but I think I will enjoy that day very much. It is a great feeling to actually announce our love to the world. It is all worth it in the sense that not only are we the couple are happy, but our family members and friends share our joy too. I always notice a lot of smiles and laughter during the 'Fetching the Bride' thing in the morning and also during the ceremony and dinner.I think it's worth it for all the happiness that day. I guess I remembered that in the end, a wedding ceremony is about celebrating love and sharing that joy with people that we know.

There's still quite a bit to do but I shall look at it in a positive light. So many things have been done and I love it when everything starts to fall together nicely.

4 comments:

  1. I am lost looking for the 'like' button.. The both of u are like portabello mushrooms and bacon - just many to be and melding so incredibly well! Happy to finally see u married!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Muthu. We just couldn't have done it without help from all of you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!!!muthu, i like ur aptly description of'portabello mushroom and bacon' !!!so, who is the mushroom??LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. One healthy albeit ugly looking fat umbrella and the other streaks of delicious red meat with lots and lots of fats... I'm torn... which one should I be?...

    ReplyDelete